ContourDesign Shuttle Forum

User forums for Contour Design ShuttlePROv2, ShuttleXpress and the original ShuttlePRO
* Login   * Register

Search Help, Settings, FAQs

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:17 am 

Thanks much for updating the 2.81 driver to include Sony Vegas 9 & 10. I use the apps daily and my shuttles are now working full speed. Also could you update the next driver to cover Sonar X1? That is my other program that I use every day.

PS I am helping my wife with her job doing web serches for companies headquarted in Europe and use the shuttle for back/forward in IE. It lets me do less hand movements than using the keyboard and mouse by themselves. She wants one for herself now, so I will be ordering a shuttle express for a total of 3 shuttles. What great products! :D

Report this post

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:46 pm 

stefshuttle wrote:
Hi,
in the next update, I like to have a funktion like Steinbergs CC121 controller with its AI Knob:
"The computer mouse is simply moved over the parameter, which is then automatically placed under full precision control through the AI Knob, with no need to make any additional settings in Cubase, any additional software module or on the interface itself. The parameter can be locked to the AI Knob to retain control when the mouse is moved elsewhere onscreen"
my only wish.
Thank you

+ 100000

Implement this ability and a huge number of new customers will buy your products, starting with me !

Report this post

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:40 am 

Like Thumper, I would like to see the ability to assign key sequences (i.e., macros) to the Shuttle Xpress' buttons. Without them, it's impossible to access several functions in 3DS Max, and if I need to have one hand on the keyboard and one on the mouse or pen, then the Shuttle becomes useless (because I run out of hands)... :|

Using a 3rd party keyboard macro utility is not a viable solution, because nearly every possible key combination is already assigned to some 3DS Max function.

And, in fact, the code to handle macros is already part of the Shuttle Engine, and it's probably even being loaded into my system's RAM, but for some reason Contour decided to cripple their own device by disabling macros on the Xpress. :roll:

Also, as Scott sugested, please replace the .pref file format with something that can be edited manually or via scripting (i.e., some XML or plaintext-based format). Settings for new applications would be much easier to create if we could simply edit the files manually, instead of having to click over 20 times in the control panel's clunky drop-down lists and input fields.

The Shuttle's problem isn't lack of setting files (on the contrary), it's the limitations its engine and control panel impose on our ability to create useful configurations. Good hardware being held back by crippled software.

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:43 am 

Thanks for posting everyone! Keep the requests coming!

I just wanted to address the Macros issue mentioned above. Yes, the driver supports the use of Macros but the hardware inside the ShuttleXpress and the original ShuttlePRO does not. The ShuttlePRO v2 supports macros use, as it was designed and released a few years later. To implement changes in the Xpress now would be costly and would change availability and pricing to our customers. I'm sorry for this inconvenience this causes for your workflow. I don't see a chance coming for it but if you have further questions about the ShuttlePRO v2 then please let me know. I'm very happy to help however I can.

Also, cursor control is always in discussion but this would require a lot of work on the development end... which would mean a brand new driver completely from scratch. I can't say whether this will happen or not, and how long it will take, but it's always been something we will look into.

All my best,
Heather

Direct #: 617-329-5315
Email: heatherb@contourdesign.com

Contour Design, Inc. 10 Industrial Dr. Windham, NH 03087
Shuttle Site: http://shuttle.contourdesign.com

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:34 pm 

Macros are executed by the Shuttle Engine, not by the hardware (they are stored in system RAM, all the Shuttle needs to do is tell the Shuttle Engine what button was pressed or what position the wheel was moved to; the rest is handled by software, not hardware).

The fact that 3rd party macro software works with the Xpress should make it pretty clear that you could enable macros for the Xpress if you wanted to. Please don't treat your clients like idiots. You chose to disable macros on the Xpress because you think that will make more people buy the Pro. It won't. People buy the Xpress for portability, and crippling it at the driver level only makes it worth less, it doesn't make the Pro worth more. It's a shot in the foot.

If anything, the refusal to admit that the macro disabling on the Xpress is a commercial decision only makes us wonder if you even tried to find a software fix for the screen saver bug before telling us that the only solution is to buy a new Shuttle. I haven't looked into Windows 7's power management APIs, but I suspect it would be perfectly possible to make Windows ignore the Shuttle for the purpose of resetting power-saving timers (in other words, the Shuttle would no longer be able to bring the system out of standby, but it would also not prevent the system from launching the screen saver, turning off the screen, or entering power-saving modes).

It's a shame to see a pretty well-designed and well-built device let down by poor software and misguided "management" decisions.

Report this post

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:00 pm 

I apologize if the tone of my response seemed uncaring or smug in any way. I can promise that is not my intention, nor is it the intention of Contour's management team. You guys are the professionals and we always look to you for feedback and will do what we can to make improvements as we go along. If I didn't treat you that way then I apologize.

As it stands right now there would be costs involved to make the changes to allow the ShuttleXpress to perform a Macro, as well as an extensive rewrite to the software. When the ShuttlePRO v2 came out changes were not made to the Xpress because of the costs and the thought that an Xpress user would likely not use a macro. I'm not saying that thought is correct but 8 years ago that was the idea. And with the PRO v2 being double the price it was not seen as a bad thing for this particular item to have a special selling feature.

Right now we are taking the Shuttle's 10 year history into account and looking at new ways we can make updates and if it's a good time for a Shuttle with more advanced features. We have a long list of "wants" to add to the driver but this process will take a while on our end. I've been here 8 years but have been working with the Shuttle for 6 months. I'm listening and everyone's feedback is going to be considered when it comes time for the updates. We've been very busy on the Shuttle side, so please bear with me for a little bit longer.

I'm sorry to say that there's no immediate fix I can offer to you in regards to macros. However the Windows 7 issue was found to be an incompatibility with the ShuttlePRO v2's firmware. We made this update a couple years ago and are still offering support to those customers even though their Shuttles are often 3-4 years old, and sometimes older. Contour offers free tech support for the life of the Shuttle and we've been known to make exceptions more often than not. If anyone has this issue please contact us.

Again, I apologize. If you would like to discuss this in further detail please feel free to email me directly.

Thank you,
Heather

All my best,
Heather

Direct #: 617-329-5315
Email: heatherb@contourdesign.com

Contour Design, Inc. 10 Industrial Dr. Windham, NH 03087
Shuttle Site: http://shuttle.contourdesign.com

Report this post

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:19 pm 

All the code is already there; the Shuttle Engine driver is the same for all your models. It detects which button was pressed and then executes some code. The only "rewrite" needed would be to stop deliberately disabling macros on the Xpress. It would be a matter of days, not months or even weeks. I'm pretty sure the decision to cripple the Xpress via software wasn't yours (Heather), and maybe you were told there were some technical reasons for it. Speaking as an (ex) code monkey (i.e., programmer), I can tell you that there aren't.

Even if "an extensive rewrite" was necessary (which it isn't), I'm sure you'd have had enough time in the past 10 years, no? Surely it didn't take 11 years to write the first version of the driver.

As to the power management bug (which also affects the Xpress), like I said, I've never had to write code for Windows' power management APIs, but I find it very odd that you can't tell Windows PM to ignore the Shuttle events at the driver level. It would prevent the Shuttle from bringing Windows out of power-saving modes (a very minor loss), but it wouldn't prevent Windows from entering power-saving modes in the first place. I would feel a lot more inclined to believe that Contour Design had actually tried to patch the driver to make it compatible with Windows 7 if you had been honest about the macro issue, instead of going on about "special hardware in the Pro which is required for macros".

Report this post

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:46 am 

I too am extremely disappointed to find that my Shuttle Xpress does not have the macro function (shown on the Quick Installation Guide in the box)! I use the latest Adobe FrameMaker, and unfortunately, for keyboard control of the application, it provides only strange Escape sequences such as Esc, Z, P, to fit the page in the window. Even my ancient Griffin Powermate could send a key sequence such as this, but now I find my 'upgrade' to the Shuttle Xpress has left me without this crucial function. Please do not provide a deliberately crippled product to those customers who choose the smaller Shuttle Xpress - we don't all want or need a huge Shuttle Pro!

Please do the right thing for your customers, and unlock the macro function on the next software update.

Report this post

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:02 pm 

I would like to enhance macro creation ability somewhat..
assign keyboard shortcut to a button, press and hold... when you release button, keyboard shutcut changes to different setting

Report this post

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:49 am 

Adobe Lightroom 3 for Apple Mac OS X

Report this post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next