ContourDesign Shuttle Forum

User forums for Contour Design ShuttlePROv2, ShuttleXpress and the original ShuttlePRO
* Login   * Register

Search Help, Settings, FAQs

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Which operating system do you use with your Shuttle?
Windows 3.1, 2000 or XP 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Windows Vista or 7 11%  11%  [ 2 ]
Windows 8 11%  11%  [ 2 ]
Mac OS 8 or 9 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Mac OS 10.1 to 10.6 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Mac OS 10.7 or later 33%  33%  [ 6 ]
Linux or Unix 33%  33%  [ 6 ]
Other 11%  11%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 18
PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:05 am 
Site Admin

Please vote in our poll. Your feedback and information are important to us.

Thanks,

shuttle@contourdesign.com

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:54 am 

everything but the mac ....

Report this post

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:31 am 

Anything not windows based

Report this post

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:47 am 

OSs don't worry me, I use a variety of them, Windows, OSX and Linux.

XP was probably the first most stable Windows Microsoft released. It was wasn't subject to the memory management problems that results in BSODs (blue screen of death) that other versions were sometimes subject to.

Vista is good but the user interface was completely different to XP which put a lot of people off of it.

Windows 7 is good. A pity they changed the Start menu so it cannot be so readily customized as earlier versions - but that's just a niggly complaint.

So long as you've got an install disk you can put whatever operating system you want on your computer. Just remember to backup everything you want to keep first.

I have five computers at home in regular use...

Home built Windows 7 64bit - "The screamer" - mostly used for rendering my videos
Windows Vista Toshiba P205 laptop - what I use for most stuff
Windows XP Toshiba M115 laptop - what my wife uses mostly
Home built Linux Fedora 15 - used as a web server
Home built Linux Fedora 16 - soon be used for the test releases of Fedora 17

Mac G4 and G5 - rarely used now but running Tiger and Leopard (OSX 10.4 and OSX 10.6)
I've also got another four old P4's lying around, all working but very rarely used and waiting for me to either find a use for or recycle them, and those have Windows XP.

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 9:26 am 

"Other" in this case is OSX 10.7, not on your survey.

Report this post

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:46 am 

W7-64 on Desktop Adobe CS6

W7-64 on Laptop Adobe CS6

At work: 6 GVG Aurora Edit's on W7-64 (Configuration based on my settings for Adobe at home).

Do I then get 8 Votes? :lol:

Report this post

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:28 pm 

Mac OS X 10.8.3 64bit

Report this post

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 5:54 pm 

I use Xubuntu, that is a derivate of Ubuntu (a sort of Linux). It works great, it's free, it's friendly, it is not a toy.
I have also a XP computer, but i think I will have to abandon it some day because is getting old.
I had to buy a Windows 8 notebook recently, but since I do not like that OS, I decided to remove it with no regret, installing Xubuntu.
I found ShuttleXpress very useful in editing videos and I decided to buy it after a try, even if I knew that for a general user it is near impossible to make it work under Linux & C (no drivers for Linux, vague support found in the forum at http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions ... us-519992/) .
In my opinion times are changing: Linux users are not so few and supporting any OS that is neither Microsoft nor Apple is no more forbidden.
The fact that Black Magic Design gives the Linux drivers for its devices (see http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support ... e&os=linux ) or that BBC made its Raven video server on a Linux platform (see www.ravencommunity.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page ) let me think that change is on.

At the end of this mail, I can say that I already made a step toward you buying a ShuttleXpress; are you going to make a step toward me releasing soon a suitable driver for Linux?
Yours friendly
Paolo Emilio Rambelli

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:11 am 

Hi Paolo,

Because of the way the Linux community interacts in making its own device drivers available to everyone, we have not put resources into making an official Contour Design Shuttle driver for Linux. We are happy to assist anyone who would like to create their own driver or improvements to an existing driver.

Thanks for your suggestion.

Paolo E. Rambelli wrote:
I use Xubuntu, that is a derivate of Ubuntu (a sort of Linux). It works great, it's free, it's friendly, it is not a toy.
I have also a XP computer, but i think I will have to abandon it some day because is getting old.
I had to buy a Windows 8 notebook recently, but since I do not like that OS, I decided to remove it with no regret, installing Xubuntu.
I found ShuttleXpress very useful in editing videos and I decided to buy it after a try, even if I knew that for a general user it is near impossible to make it work under Linux & C (no drivers for Linux, vague support found in the forum at http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions ... us-519992/) .
In my opinion times are changing: Linux users are not so few and supporting any OS that is neither Microsoft nor Apple is no more forbidden.
The fact that Black Magic Design gives the Linux drivers for its devices (see http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support ... e&os=linux ) or that BBC made its Raven video server on a Linux platform (see http://www.ravencommunity.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page ) let me think that change is on.

At the end of this mail, I can say that I already made a step toward you buying a ShuttleXpress; are you going to make a step toward me releasing soon a suitable driver for Linux?
Yours friendly
Paolo Emilio Rambelli

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:49 pm 

For all who want to use their Shuttle in Linux: You can find a working program to translate the signals from the shuttle to keyboard or mouse commands at this link: https://freecode.com/projects/shuttlepro

This tool was made for the ShuttlePRO v2, but it works fine with my ShuttleXpress as well. You only have to change the device name.
I think it would be a great idea for the ContourDesign developers to at least send a big thank you there :roll:

Finally this product is really useful for me!

Report this post