ContourDesign Shuttle Forum

User forums for Contour Design ShuttlePROv2, ShuttleXpress and the original ShuttlePRO
* Login   * Register

Search Help, Settings, FAQs

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:03 am 

What hardware features would you like to see on the next generation of Shuttle? Wireless (Bluetooth or wireless USB), MIDI support, Mackie Universal Control, channel fader(s), daisy chain able Shuttles, etc.. What about changes to our software?

Report this post

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:14 pm 

I would live to see MIDI via USB. A wireless Shuttle would be nice too. How about some kind of update alert, where a message would alert you if there was a new driver available?

Report this post

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:51 am 

Here are some thoughts I have on the subject. The first 4 are the ones I would be most interested in, the rest are just some "out there" ideas.

1) Wireless would be nice, Bluetooth if I had a choice.

2) Backlight buttons. If this is done, then please make all buttons have clear caps and backlight.

3) More buttons on a single unit. (I'm using the Pro2 version and still would like more)

4) A single lcd that shows the currently loaded setting file "Photoshop main" "Photoshop Extra", "All Applications" etc.

5) Some way to move the shuttle/jog nob so it can be used for 3d like a 3Dconnexion SpaceNavigator Mouse but not directly like that because I don't really like the feel of it (felt too clunky).

6) mini lcds on each button to show its current setting (this might make it too expensive but I'm just throwing the idea out there). Kinda like but hopefully less $ then the Optimus keyboards by Art Lebedev

Report this post

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:24 am 

JimKn wrote:
Here are some thoughts I have on the subject. The first 4 are the ones I would be most interested in, the rest are just some "out there" ideas.

1) Wireless would be nice, Bluetooth if I had a choice.

2) Backlight buttons. If this is done, then please make all buttons have clear caps and backlight.

3) More buttons on a single unit. (I'm using the Pro2 version and still would like more)

4) A single lcd that shows the currently loaded setting file "Photoshop main" "Photoshop Extra", "All Applications" etc.

5) Some way to move the shuttle/jog nob so it can be used for 3d like a 3Dconnexion SpaceNavigator Mouse but not directly like that because I don't really like the feel of it (felt too clunky).

6) mini lcds on each button to show its current setting (this might make it too expensive but I'm just throwing the idea out there). Kinda like but hopefully less $ then the Optimus keyboards by Art Lebedev

Thanks, Jim! :D

Report this post

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:15 pm 

First off, I love the ShuttlePro. I'm probably at the intersection of all of its target markets since I do video, 3d work, illustration, UX and code. ShuttlePro saves me lots of time at all of that stuff.

Here are my suggestions. Also top to bottom in terms of how much I'd like to see them.

1) I agree with JimKn that Wireless is cool, but barring that, it would be better if the USB cord wasn't fixed into the device. This way if the cord goes, the device isn't bricked.

2) I think that currently the only thing that defines what mode I'm in is whether I "Switched Settings" to it or not with a button or the Shuttle Settings window. I think it would be fantastic if I could set some other triggers to automatically switch modes. This way I can automate switching modes more easily. Useful examples of triggers: a. Switch settings when I go fullscreen, b. When I press a keyboard hotkey. c. When I click a specific menu item in a program, d. One of the steps in my ShuttlePro macro. This way, when the program I'm working in toggles to another mode of operation (Full Screen, hotkey triggered or menu item), my ShuttlePro switches gears with me without having to waste one of my button maps or remember what mode I'm in.

3) I also agree that there should be at least an option to have the current Switched Settings mode always visible somewhere (JimKn's point 4). I don't know if this would be an LCD or a software thing. Personally I want fewer glowing readouts my life, but if I can live with them if you give me the option to turn them off or dim them. I generally like my signifiers onscreen so I don't have to keep looking at the device.

4) What about a 3rd ring or a slider/fader that operates in fixed increments? This way I could set my opacity in Photoshop visually. Or I could set each increment to a different tool hotkey. An added bonus is if I can have some signifiers along with that let me notify myself which increment is selected. On screen preferably. That way I could effectively get - say - 10 buttons out of one flexible feature.

5) A useful Macro feature would be to allow me to display a custom message that floats on top of my windows. One way I work in Photoshop is to set my spring loaded ring to the hotkeys for all the tools I use. I constantly increment that ring while I work and it makes it lightning fast to switch between different tools. Moving in increments, I can use the brush, pen, selection tools, etc. At the end of the set I usually have some kind of a Commit operation. In Photoshop if I turn all the way to the left it converts all of my vector pen stuff and adds it to the current selection, then deletes and deselects. Going right, it converts the pen, fills and deselects. The only drawback to this method is that sometimes I don't know what tool I'm in visually. Would be great if I could have my macro that selects the pen with 'p' also display "Pen" somewhere.

6) JimKn's feature 6. Personally I can live with glowing buttons if they tell me something about what the hotkey does, customized to each App and set of settings, like Wacom's LCD buttons. However, I think that probably pushes the price point up considerably.

7) Sometimes I feel like the Contour is missing Dpad equivalency. There are a lot of computer actions that map to a 4 way top-left-right-down configuration, but it's tricky to know where to map them to on the device. Not crucial. Just an observation.

I actually use the slide up/down feature bound to the inner ring and it lets me zoom in and out. I agree it would be very cool to be able to orbit in 3d like the Spacemouse. Far out feature from me would me - what if you made it modular like that "modular phone" idea that's been circulating. Let each buyer outfit it with the specific components that they want. Uber-input device. FrankenShuttle. Anyway, that's probably a little too left field, but take it for what it's worth.

Once again, love the ShuttlePro!!

Report this post

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 9:40 pm 

I agree with Dave about the USB being a detachable cable.

Dave for #3 I actually made some suggestions in a separate post (A few feature requests) that were all software related. I only posted the LCD one here since I had already submitted the software ones previously. I did not see this post at the time. I would also. like you, prefer it to be on screen but will take what I can get.

The third ring sounds interesting.

#5 I am all for 100%, would love to see some thing like that

Modular sounds fun, wonder if it would need to be made too bulky to make it stable/sturdy.

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:19 pm 

I use the ShuttlePRO v2 every day.
It's very well build.

These are the feature i love to have:

1. Every software has different settings. Put the label on the keys is not useful, because the function change every application. I remember the key of the most used application, but not the keys of the application I use few times. Also the keys less used is more difficult to remember. Print a piece of sheet reporting the keys for every application is out of date... Please make a popup windows or a tab in shuttle control panel, showing all the settings for each software and/or for the application in focus. Or at least something that automatically create a graphical image of all function keys, like to have the file "ShuttleProv2_map.jpg" populated with applicationkeys settings.

2. Add an hardware push button in the central wheel

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:30 pm 

Thanks, everyone. Keep those suggestions coming! :D

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:29 pm 

Huge fan of the Shuttle Pro 2.

Features for me in order of most wanted:

1. A Shuttle Ball Pro. Basically, I'd love to see a version of the Shuttle Pro with a roller ball and a ring instead of the jog wheel. Currently, I've used an old Expert Mouse Pro from Kensington for years and, in combination with my Shuttle Pro 2, I barely ever had to touch the keyboard. However, Kensington's drivers and support are terrible and they've basically abandoned the Expert Mouse so I'm working with a crippled version now. My ideal version would be a cross between the Shuttle Pro 2 and the Expert Mouse Pro with the ability to "Chord" the 4 major buttons. Contours button layout and management software is fantastic and being able to have 2 devices (one for each hand) working in concert would dramatically improve my workflow. My ideal Shuttle Ball Pro would have a track ball surrounded by a scroll ring, four large, chordable "mouse buttons" like Kensington's, another small bar buttons on either side (like the shuttle pro 2), a small middle button just above the scroll ring and 3 smaller (contour shuttle-style) buttons to either side above it. This in the mouse hand with a Shuttle Pro 2 in the other hand would make a pretty unstoppable combination. I currently map 3 of the Shuttle Pro 2's top buttons to CTRL, SHIFT and ALT and use them as modifiers to multiply my button counts on both my mouse and my Shuttle. The key to fast workflow is never having to look at the keyboard or away from your work. Staying in the flow is critical when riding an idea so you don't' lose it. For me, this is the true power of the Shuttle.

2. A quicker reference for what keys do what on the Shuttle Pro. Possibly a popup for the current settings that can be activated with a button press or key command so that we don't have to rely on looking at labels on the device.

3. Definite yes to daisy chainable shuttles or a modular setup. In my case this is pretty much a reiteration of point 1. :D

4. A single extra button at the very top center (above the top row of 4) and an extra button on each side below the 4 lower thumb buttons. The lower 2 would want to be spaced a little further and possibly shaped differently so as to avoid confusion. Someone else suggested being able to push down on the jog wheel as a button. I'd be interested in that as long as it didn't introduce mechanical reliability issues. We can be pretty hard on these devices.

5. I love the idea of the LCD to tell us what settings we're on but I think the added cost wouldn't be worth it and generally prefer not to have to look down at the device. Therefore, a little text label in the system tray or Mac menu bar would be great. Failing that, being able to assign a little (unique) icon to to each of your settings would be a nice way to show what's loaded without taking up as much real estate in the menu bar or system tray.

6. David's suggestion #2 regarding multiple ways to switch settings is a fantastic idea. However, with a. Switching settings on full screen and c. Clicking specific menu item in a program, I fear an endless sea of bugs and quirks due to you guys having to try and navigate the different functions of so many other software developers who are constantly updating or re-inventing their products. I'd definitely be a fan of b. and d. though.

7. Love David's display custom message macro idea as well.

8. Wireless would be great but I'm less interested in bluetooth because I run my machines in a separate room for noise and heat reasons. I think I'd be out of range. I currently use KVM extenders to deal with this. Maybe I'm wrong about the range thing?

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:28 pm 

Regarding showing us what settings are currently selected - I realize that there is a way to get a popup in the preferences. That's awesome! I still think a full-time indicator in the menu bar or system tray would be helpful though. In some programs we have multiple settings and the only way to tell which one we're on is to switch or go and click on the menu. A glance is faster :)

Thanks again.

Report this post